Damage to the nervous system can arguably be the most devastating of all afflictions in the body. Neurologists are medical specialists who treat the nervous system and the brain. They do not perform operations. Therefore, Your general physician may recommend you to a neurologist if they find any problem with your nervous system.
To become a neurologist in India, a student must complete an MBBS degree and then a 2–3 years M.D. (medicine)/ DNB course. As a result, After getting your post-graduation degree, you must do D.M. (Neurology) to achieve your specialization in the field of Neurology.
What illnesses do Neurologists treat?
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Lou Gehrig’s disease (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) (ALS)
- Back pain
- spinal cord and Brain injury
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Pinch nerves
- Peripheral neuropathy (a disease that affects nerves)
- Tremors (uncontrollable movements)
Subspecialties of Neurologists
The entire nervous system and brain are dealt with under neurology, and several conditions get treat and diagnoses by a neurologist. Hence, to narrow down, neurologists specialize in different fields of neurology; So, these include:
- As Headache medicine
- Like Sleep medicine
- Neuromuscular medicine
- Like Geriatric neurology
- Neurocritical care
- Like Vascular (stroke care) neurology
- Interventional neuroradiology
- Such as Child (pediatric) neurology
- As like Epilepsy
Also, check other blogs.
Neurological procedures and tests that you may have to undergo:
Hence, If you prepared before visiting a neurologist, it will be easy to follow the procedure.
● The first thing a neurologist in India will prefer to know will be the patient’s history. However, The doctor will ask you some questions about your health. So, You should answer those questions honestly. Therefore, All the information about your medication be informe to the neurologist.
● The next step is the medical examination that the neurologists conduct. However, The exam will test your mental status, vision, speech, reflexes, strength, coordination, and sensation.
● The medical examinations will give the doctor a good idea about your diagnosis, but other tests are need to confirm the diagnosis.
Therefore, depending on the symptoms and the initial tests, the neurologists may perform the following tests:
Lumbar puncture: This is recommend only if it is believe that the cause may detect in the spinal fluid. Therefore, In this test, a needle inserted into the lower spine to withdraw a sample.
Electroencephalogram (EEG): To measure the electrical activity in the brain, electrodes place on the scalp.
Electromyography and nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS): This test measures the function of nerves and muscles using electrodes and needles on the skin.
Laboratory screening tests: To understand what is going on in the body, blood, urine, and other bodily fluids are tested.
Transcranial Doppler (TCD): The blood flow in your brain measure via sound waves through an ultrasound probe placed in the head.
Tensilon test: It helps diagnose myasthenia gravis, a condition that might weaken muscles. So, A medicine call as edrophonium (Tensilon) is given to see if it can strengthen certain muscles and relieve weakness temporarily.
So, Other common tests during a neurologist’s visit include C.T., MRI, and PET scanning. During your visit to a neurologist in India, it will be beneficial for you to take down the information provide by the neurologist as notes, as it is valuable and detail information.