Home is a shelter for all kinds of storms. It’s a magical place of love, hope, and dreams, where you do whatever it takes to survive. A home can be a smart investment but needs regular maintenance with HVAC, leaks, smoke detectors, plumbing, etc., so Homeowners prefer to do the periodic maintenance as it saves money and the building.
Waterproofing in Mumbai is one of the critical methods of making the home, water-resistant. It is important to save the building from water damages and avoid costly emergencies in the future. In this blog, you will know the importance of basement waterproofing and its methods.
Why waterproof the basement?
Water in the soil causes hydrostatic pressure which forces the water into the basement through cracks. If you have complaints like leakages, musty odor due to mold growth, rotting of wooden doors and windows, damages to the valuables, then you need to waterproof it as soon as possible to prevent significant structural damage to the building.
The five main elements of a proper basement waterproofing solution are,
- An integrated Interior drainage system
- A battery-operated, cast iron and non – clogging sump pump
- An automatic, high capacity, and self-draining dehumidifier
- A waterproofed and well-covered windows to keep the rainwater and debris away
- A clean working gutter and a downspout of at least 3 feet extension from the foundation to channel the rainwater.
The Factors to consider when selecting the method for waterproofing the basement are, the Cost, Quality, and Durability of the waterproofing material and the technique.
There are Six methods of basement waterproofing based on the source, type, and severity of the water damage. They are,
- Interior Floor and wall sealants: In the case of poured concrete foundations, bonds like Epoxies and Urethanes are pressure injected into the cracks and pipe penetrations from inside to exterior, which prevents the seepage problem. In masonry foundations, the sealants are the temporary solution that prevents the absorption of moisture by the basement walls and floors. It ensures that the atmospheric humidity level in the basement is low.
- Interior water drainage: The installation of the interior drainage system along with sump pumps and a basement dehumidifier is the most effective method which avoids water buildup in the basement. In this method, a drain channel along the foundation footers are created, which collects the water entering the basement. The sump pump system will then pump the water out of the basement. In case of flooding, it is advisable to have a water alarm and a battery-operated backup pump as a preventive measure. This method is more affordable and gives a long term solution compared to the other basement waterproofing methods.
- Exterior basement coating: This method is effective only at the time of construction of the basement and not on existing homes, as it may clog the external drainage system. The polymers that last for a lifetime and are not affected by the soil pH are used to coat the exterior basement walls. It helps in preventing the water from causing structural damage to the house.
- Exterior water drainage: This method of waterproofing is effective for an existing basement, where the excavation is done till the footings of the basement, the walls are power washed, dried, and then a waterproofing membrane is applied. Now, the new drainage tiles ( weeping tiles ) are placed at the side of the footings that prevents the intrusion of water into the basement.
- Box type Waterproofing: This type of waterproofing is used only for structures below the ground level like the basements, swimming pools, and lift pits. The entire process of this waterproofing method forms a box around the structure and prevents the water from seeping through or leaking from the basement. Shahabad box type waterproofing is the most popular treatment in India. This process is professionally conducted by waterproofing in Bangalore.
- Foundation crack injections: Though concrete is healthy and an ideal product for construction, it expands and contracts and create cracks. These cracks are fixed using Epoxy or hydrophilic polyurethane crack injections for structural purposes to prevent the penetration of water.
First, It’s Always better to consult a certified basement waterproofing company to get a basement thoroughly assessed. Then to adopt an effective basement waterproofing solution, you should customize it to the specific issues of your basement and apply it to the last longer.